Thursday, August 16, 2012

Easy Appetizer: Southwestern Eggrolls

   I love a quick appetizer for dinner when I'm not hungry enough nor have the stamina to cook a full meal. I'm also a sucker for super simple recipes with few ingredients that come out tasting fantastic! These Southwestern Eggrolls are exactly that! Easy, filling, and so delicious! The best part is, you can mix up the ingredients to your liking and they will still come out perfectly delectable.
   I used to love the Southwestern Eggrolls at chain restaurants like Chili's and Applebee's. When I became a vegetarian I had to give them up, however, because at the restaurant they contain shredded chicken. This recipe excludes any type of meat product, but feel free to add chicken, ground beef or turkey, crumbled seitan or tempeh, or anything else you desire. The recipe also calls for black beans but I'm sure it would be great with pinto or even red kidney beans. Veggies and cheeses are also adaptable to your palate's liking. Not a fan of cheddar or Mexican Chihuahua cheese? Try it with Monterrey Jack, Havarti, or Muenster. The options really are limitless here! I just can't believe it took me 6 years to figure out I could make these on my own sans the meat..! :)

   Here's what you'll need:

  • Ready made eggroll wrappers (you can usually find them near the tofu in the produce section)
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 can mixed tomatoes and chiles (like Rotel), drained
  • 1 cup shredded Chihuahua/cheddar cheeses
  •  3/4 cup frozen corn
  • cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder
  • grapeseed oil for frying (or whatever you have on hand) 
  • mixing bowl, frying pan, metal tongs or spatula, and a spoon
  • glass with water and a pastry brush if you have one (if not you can use your fingers)
   *Side note: I love onions, so I normally add some chopped red onion in addition to the green. If you have any avocados on hand, including a few slices will make these heavenly. Trust me. I also find this dish an excellent way to sneak greens like collards and kale (finely shredded) into a "green-haters" belly. No complaints so far. ;)

   What to do:

  • First mix all ingredients (minus oil and wrapper) in a large bowl.
  • Lay out your eggroll wrapper so that it looks like a diamond facing towards you.
  • Spoon about 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture onto the wrapper and wet the top two sides of the diamond with either your fingers or pastry brush dipped in water.
  • Fold the bottom up, wrap a little ways, tuck the sides in, and then finish rolling. (There will be directions on the back of the package on how to fold the wrappers as well.)
  • Continue until you run out of the bean/veggie mixture. (or just make a few and save the rest!)
  • In a preheated frying pan with oil, place the eggrolls and fry until lightly brown and cripsy on all sides. If you have a deep fryer, feel free to bust it out! They will be worth it! 
  • Once they are cooked, drain the oil by placing them on a few paper towels or a wire rack. 
  • Allow to cool, serve with hot sauce or buttermilk dressing, and ENJOY! 
   This is one of my current favorite recipes and I hope you try it out soon! Until next time, stay clean Azuma readers! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment