Thursday, March 29, 2012

Living Healthy: 101

     Everyone knows that living a healthy lifestyle is the backbone of living a long, healthy life. That being said, we all know that none of us want to take the time to do so! We want to enjoy our years now, and disregard what our body wants and needs in order to have fun now; and pay the price later.  Personally, I have decided to take the time and make the required changes to living healthier and happier! I not only feel GREAT, but I have lost 20lbs in a matter of 6 weeks! Whats my secret? There isn't one! There is a large range of things that can be done to make your self a healthier, happier, you! Today, I want to share with you what I have discovered on my journey to a better me!
     
     I believe that the most important part of being healthy and happy is mental health! This is 100% more important than any other change you could make! Everyday is a new day, and a new start. This means to me, that nothing from yesterday, or earlier this week, will effect how I get through today. Everyone faces struggles. Whether our struggles are at work, home, with our friends, family, or even with ourselves - the only way to overcome the struggle, is to make the necessary changes, and move on from it! Come to terms with the negative things in your life, or change them, otherwise you will never be happy! I don't want to preach at everyone about this topic: but plain and simple - If you cannot love yourself, why would anyone else want to? Take that into consideration and hopefully you'll wake up much more cheerful than you did before! :)

     The next topic I would like to mention is the one everyone dreads: dieting. Now lets put a spin on this so that its not such a sore subject! I do not call how I live my life a 'diet', because diets are temporary, and are simply set up for failure. It is a proven fact that the majority of people who "diet" will lose weight, but gain it all back (and more!) when all is said and done. Get fit quick schemes are not the way to a better you! Everyone knows that fast food is bad for you, so I'm not going to waste time lecturing you on all of the terrible things that are out there; instead I'm just going to offer a few tips that have helped me along the way! The first corner stone is something my parents have been talking to me about for years, they refer to them as "push-aways". Meaning, push yourself away from the table! As terrible as it sounds, its a problem with all of us. Simply put: overeating. We eat when we are hungry, we eat when we are sad, we eat when we are mad, we eat when we are bored - stop it! Just stop, seriously! You could be cleaning, running errands, or even doing a crossword puzzle.. find other ways to occupy that time!
     Second, if you think something is bad for you, that's probably because it is! We all have cravings, but I have found that when I have a craving, I simply eat whatever it is I was wanting. What I do differently: instead of eating a PINT of ice cream, I'll eat a cup of ice cream. Therefore, conquering my craving, but not totally ruining my day. Lastly, anything natural is great for you. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you need to eat nothing but raw organic super foods and never touch anything that has been processed or cooked.. because lets face it: that isn't something one can simply do. Healthy food is expensive, raw organic veggies..ick - I've said those things too! Let me tell you now, it is worth it. I still eat a bit of processed food, and I even eat meat and breads (my weakness) - but something as easy as substituting one meal a day with a salad, or decreasing the amount of calories your in taking, can make a world of difference!Adding in these super foods and raw organics will make a bigger difference than you can believe! Start small, a little/day, and slowly increase. You'll soon find yourself not even wanting the fatty foods you loved before (or at least i don't!)!

     Lastly, exercise! Some people are blessed with an active gene, where they wake up everyday wanting to hike, jog, or even just go on some random athletic adventure. For me, that is not the case. I am naturally a hermit. I like to stay home and make use of things indoors. Exercise is not only important in order for you to be healthy, it is also great for your mental health! Ever have one of those days where everything is going wrong? Spill your coffee getting in the car? Dropped a stack of papers at the office? Get pulled over on your drive home? Yeah, me too! We've all had one of "those" days. Nothing is more comforting for me, than a nice workout after a day like this. Not only am I benefiting from being productive, its an outlet for my anger, or even just a way to clear my head. Working out doesn't always have to be slaving in a gym around people you're embarrassed to work out in front of! We've all felt that awkwardness before. Go to the park and play with your dog, go ride a bike, or throw a football with some friends! For me, getting to the gym is the problem. Once I am out of my apartment door, I'm ready to go! Get out, have fun, and get healthy while doing so! 

     Find whatever it is that is holding you back from a better you, and conquer it! You are only as strong as you allow yourself to be! Make smart choices that effect the rest of your life, not today! Until next time, keep it clean! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment