Thursday, February 9, 2012

Green Cleaning: For Hair, Face, & Body!

   When you think of green cleaning, you might not automatically think hair, face, and body. In fact, some people might find it strange that most of my bathroom items are duplicates of things I also keep in my kitchen. I, however, quite like the fact that my beauty routine is clean, wholesome, and mostly organic - and good enough to eat!
    Most common beauty products are filled with phthalates, parabens, sulfates, and other chemicals that have been linked to cancer, reproductive and developmental issues, among a long list of other dangerous degenerative diseases. Know I don't know about you, but I definitely don't want to be washing myself with a loofah full of cancer! Instead, I've devised an all natural routine that's super easy and very cheap to follow!
    The average female I'm sure spends hundreds of dollars on shampoos, deep conditioners, lotions, face wash, face cream, face brightener... the list goes on! How many things can they market for one face?! :)  In all seriousness though, there is no reason you need all those fancy creams and soaps. Look no further than your fridge (rented by Azuma perhaps?) for amazing beauty finds!
     For shampoo and conditioner I've been using the baking soda/apple cider vinegar method for about 3 months now and it works wonderfully! To "shampoo" I take a handful of baking soda (I have long hair, shorter hair can use a smaller amount) and mix it with enough water to make a paste. Lately, I've had dandruff due to the cold weather so I've been adding a few drops of tea tree oil to this mixture. Then you start at the roots and scrub with all your might! I try to massage it in for a few minutes and then gradually work my way down the hair shaft. Rinse out the baking soda and then rinse again with a few cups of apple cider vinegar diluted with filtered water. You'll want to then rinse a third time, this time making sure you get all the cider vinegar out otherwise you'll end up smelling like a salad! :)
     There are many home remedies for deep conditioners if dry hair is your dilemma. Why not mash up an avocado for a mask and let the natural oils repair your hair? (Avocado also works great if you have dry skin.) An egg, yogurt, and honey are other kitchen essentials that will help to mend your mangled mane.
     Speaking of honey, that brings me to my next topic - face wash. Did you know that honey is filled with anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties? It's those qualities that make it the perfect alternative to traditional "acne free" face washes. Trust me, it works.
     I prefer to use a raw, organic honey but any will do in a pinch. Mix about a teaspoon of honey with enough baking soda to make a thin paste, then lightly scrub your whole face. I follow up with almond oil mixed with a few drops of lavender essential oil. (You can use any essential oil that benefits you!) Since I started this routine my face has been cleaner and clearer than ever!
    Now to complete my green routine - body wash and lotion. For Christmas 2 years ago I made some homemade soap that I still continue to use for my body wash. It's made of a shea butter base, oatmeal, and peppermint essential oil. It lathers well and smells fantastic! After my shower, I substitute lotion for coconut oil. It smells great and leaves my skin the softest it's been in years!
    So there you go - cheap, easy alternatives that will leave you squeaky clean from head to toe! :)

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete