Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins

   I love when I stumble upon a recipe that is so completely satisfying I can't help but share it as soon as my tongue gets a taste. This recipe definitely meets those standards. I am also enamored with fall, everything about it. From the cooler breeze to the changing colors in the trees, I adore it all. My absolute favorite thing about fall? It's pumpkin season. :) 
   
   Upon purchasing a small, organic "sugar pie" pumpkin from Whole Foods, I had a hard time deciding what to actually do with it. I flirted with the idea of making cupcakes with a nice cream cheese frosting. Or should I, upon the boyfriend's request, go all out and make a delicious (albeit time consuming) pumpkin cheesecake? With these ideas in mind, I scoured the internet in hopes to find the perfect fall treat. And boy, did I find it! The perfect combination of the two, I present to you:

Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins
  
For the filling: 
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tsps cinnamon 
  • 1 tsp almond extract (optional but delicious)
For the muffins: 
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 large eggs (or egg substitute - I used 4 chia/flaxseed "eggs")
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree (you can purchase this pre-made or make your own - details below)
  • 1¼ cups grapeseed oil (or any oil you have on hand. I used a combination of grapeseed and coconut.) 
For the topping: 
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup flour
  • 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
   If you're like me and prefer to avoid pre-processed foods, you might consider making your own pumpkin puree for this recipe. It's very simple to do and a small "sugar pie" pumpkin provided me with the exact amount I needed for this recipe. To make pumpkin puree, there's a variety of different ways you can go about it. All ways begin with you cutting the pumpkin in half, de-seeding it (Save for a later date! Pumpkin seeds are very nutritious and spectacular toasted with some cumin and chili powder.), and then chopping small and removing the skin. I chose the quickest method which involves placing the diced pumpkin into a pot of boiling water and letting it cook for about half an hour. Alternatively, you could roast the pumpkin or steam it. Both take a bit longer to do, however, and I was very impatient last night. ;) After you cook the pumpkin using whichever method you choose, you simply place the bits in a food processor or blender and let 'er rip! In seconds, you have freshly cooked pumpkin puree! (This also freezes exceptionally well if you end up with more than the needed 2 cups!)

   Now for the ACTUAL recipe. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine your ingredients for the filling. Simply whisk together until nice and creamy, and then store in the fridge until ready to use. You'll want to make the topping next. To do so combine the dry ingredients and then add your cubes of butter. Then you'll want to use a fork to mash the butter into the dry mixture until it is crumbly. Also set this in the fridge until you're ready to assemble. Now you can make the muffin batter. Simply add all ingredients and mix until incorporated. (I used an electric hand mixer but with a little man power you can easily do this by hand.) You want to line a cupcake pan (or two if you have them!) and then fill the paper 3/4 of the way full with the muffin batter. Then you will add a dollop (about 1 tbs) of the cream cheese filling on top. Finally, sprinkle generously with the topping. Bake for about 20 minutes and then remove when a toothpick (or other sharp kitchen device) comes out clean. Let cool for as long as you can manage. I don't recommend eating directly out of the oven - the cream cheese filling is molten, trust me! 

   These muffins are the perfect fall treat and taste even better the next day for breakfast. I hope you enjoy this recipe and the beginning of your fall/holiday season! Until next time, stay hungry delicious clean!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment